Teach Selfless Love: 20 things a mom should tell her son
Several days ago we celebrated Mother's Day and while many mothers experienced the joy of warm wishes from their children, many others did not because of unhealthy relationships between parents and their children. What can younger mothers learn to avoid this undesirable perspective?
Younger parents, the most valuable thing you can do for your children is to teach them selfless love. Teach them to love and appreciate everything around them, starting from the act of creation. It will be most beneficial for them to learn to appreciate 4 things in particular.
- Live in harmony with God who created the Universe.
- Live in harmony with the environment - we live in it and nature provides resources for life.
- Live in harmony with yourself - a person not at peace with himself/herself cannot attain full health in this world.
- Live in harmony with all the people around you; appreciate their gifts and differences. They enrich our lives in many ways. We can teach our children to be a beam of light to those around them.
All of the above come down to one concept - selfless love. If all parents teach this to their children, the world could look something like paradise in the next generation.
As I was looking for a good Mother's Day subject I came across Werdyab's; "20 Things a Mother Should Tell Her Son", which is shared below with permission. They are worth reading and sharing with other parents.
1. Play a sport. It will teach you how to win honorably, lose gracefully, respect authority, work with others, manage your time and stay out of trouble. And maybe even throw or catch.
2. You will set the tone for the sexual relationship, so don't take something away from her that you can't give back.
3. Use careful aim when you pee. Somebody's got to clean that up, you know.
4. Save money when you're young because you're going to need it some day.
5. Allow me to introduce you to the dishwasher, oven, washing machine, iron, vacuum, mop and broom. Now please go use them.
6. Pray and be a spiritual leader.
7. Don't ever be a bully and don't ever start a fight, but if some idiot clocks you, please defend yourself.
8. Your knowledge and education is something that nobody can take away from you.
9. Treat women kindly. Forever is a long time to live alone and it's even longer to live with somebody who hates your guts.
10. Take pride in your appearance.
11. Be strong and tender at the same time.
12. A woman can do everything that you can do. This includes her having a successful career and you changing diapers at 3 A.M. Mutual respect is the key to a good relationship.
13. "Yes ma'am" and "yes sir" still go a long way.
14. The reason that they're called "private parts" is because they're "private". Please do not scratch them in public.
15. Peer pressure is a scary thing. Be a good leader and others will follow.
16. Bringing her flowers for no reason is always a good idea.
17. Be patriotic.
18. Potty humor isn't the only thing that's humorous.
19. Please choose your spouse wisely. My daughter-in-law will be the gatekeeper for me spending time with you and my grandchildren.
20. Remember to call your mother because I might be missing you.
Congratulations to all mothers and fathers. Remember the 5th commandment: "Honor your father and your mother."