Easy Weeknight Keto Recipe To Try: Creamy Broccoli Soup
Don’t throw out those leftover broccoli stalks! Use them as an excuse to make this nutritious, creamy soup featuring broccoli, spinach, and blue cheese. It makes an easy Keto recipe for a weeknight dinner.
This easy broccoli soup recipe is an except from Quick Keto Meals in 30 Minutes or Less: 100 Easy Prep-and-Cook Low-Carb Recipes for Maximum Weight Loss and Improved Health.
This recipe makes 4 servings. This means about 6 cups S/1.4 L/48.7 on. It takes only 10 minutes to make this soup. But that's the hands-on time. The overall time is 25 minutes. By the time you set the table it will be ready.
HANDS-ON TIME: 10 MINUTES | OVERALL TIME: 25 MINUTES
- 2 tablespoons (30 g/1.1 oz) ghee or lard
- 1 small (70 g/2.5 oz) white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small (250 g/8.8 oz) head of broccoli
- 1 large (64 g/2.3 oz) celery stalk
- 2 cups (480 ml) chicken stock, bone broth, or vegetable stock (page 13)
- 7.1 ounces (200 g) fresh or frozen spinach
- ¼ cup (60 g/2.1 oz) crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2.6 ounces (75 g) blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml/0.5 oz) fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (20 g/0.7 oz) fresh basil, plus more for garnish, or 2 tablespoons (30 g/1.1 oz) Avocado and Kale Pesto (page 19)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml/2 oz) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Grease a large soup pot with the ghee and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into small florets. Peel and dice the broccoli stalk, and slice the celery. Add the broccoli, broccoli stalk, and celery to the pot. Pour in the stock.
Bring to a boil and cook for about 12 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for about 1 minute. Add the crème fraîche, blue cheese, lemon juice, and fresh basil. (Reserve some blue cheese for garnish, if you like.) Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to process until smooth. (Or, if you’re using a regular blender, let the soup cool down slightly before pouring it into the blender.) Taste the soup, add salt and pepper, then pulse again.
Divide among four serving bowls, drizzle each with 1 tablespoon (15 ml/0.5 oz) of the olive oil, and garnish with fresh basil. Serve immediately, or let the soup cool down and store in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze in manageable portions for up to 3 months.
Here are the nutrition facts per serving.
- About 1½ CUPS/360 ML/12.2 OZ)
- Total carbs: 9.6 g | Fiber: 3.4 g | Net carbs: 6.2 g | Protein: 10.6 g | Fat: 34.3 g | Energy: 377 kcal
- Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (11%), fat (82%)