Obesity Is Growing, Move 10 Minutes At A Time
Adult obesity rates have grown in 23 states. None of the states out of the 50 have shown a drop in obesity rates. Mississippi leads the race as Americans are getting fatter. Childhood obesity rates are flat, but they remain alarmingly high. Fitness and regular exercise are needed daily. Busy individuals can take 10 minutes at a time to do fitness.
These statistics on U.S. growing obesity trends came from The Trust for America's Health (TFAH) and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The reports also suggest that the percentage of fat people above the age 65 can increase soon.
How to combat obesity
Many people say they want to achieve significant weight loss, but they don't have time to exercise. You would move more, but you can not devote 30 minutes a day? What if you go in small steps - 10 minutes at a time - with fitness activities that suit your schedule? According to fitness experts dividing physical activity in periods of 10 minutes would give it a fashion of regularity, thus, making it a real habit.
According to a study by Virginia University the weight loss and health benefits are felt quickly. Participants of a study who were exercising for 10 or 15 minutes per day achieved results in 21 days: their aerobic capacity was equivalent to that of a person 10 to 15 years younger, equal to their strength, muscle tone and their flexibility.
Here are some suggestions for physical activities that can be easily carried out in 10 minutes, depending on Prevention1 magazine. Feel free to improve or adapt to your personal situation. This can help to combat obesity.
* Jumping on the spot, legs and arms extended (jumping jacks).
* Doing sit-ups.
* Doing push-ups
In the office
* During breaks, up and down the stairs six or eight floors.
* In the elevator or elsewhere, contracting the abdominals in several sequences of 10 or 15 seconds ( "entering" your navel to the inside of your belly).
* On the phone, stand and stretch different parts of the body.
* Choose a channel of music and dance.
* Jogger on site during advertising breaks.
* Raise your legs by adding weights to your ankles.
* During the long journeys by car, take a brisk walk during the stops.
* At the hotel, opt for a room located between the 5th and the 8th floor and take the stairs.
You have 15 minutes?
If you have 15 minutes and want to move more the Canadian Chriopractic Association has designed a program helping sedentary people to incorporate exercise in their lifestyle. It's free and you will discover ideas for customizing in 15 minutes of cardio, strength training and flexibility, without special equipment.
1. The article entitled 25 Easy ways to fit in 10 minutes of exercise is posted on the site www.prevention.com [accessed 26 June 2009].
Written by Armen Hareyan