New HIV/AIDS Diagnoses Rise In Minorities

Armen Hareyan's picture

This week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYC DOHMH) released new HIV incidence data. The CDC released its 2007 HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report and the NYC DOHMH released its semiannual HIV Epidemiology & Fields Services report.

The surveillance data from the CDC indicate that among people newly diagnosed with HIV or AIDS in 2007, men who have sex with men (MSM) accounted for 51% while MSM who also engage in intravenous drug use (IDU) accounted for an additional 3%, for a total of 54% of all HIV/AIDS diagnoses in 2007. Overall, the numbers of new HIV/AIDS diagnoses in 2007 was up 9% from 2006 - 2007 (from 38,531 to 44,084).

The data from NYC DOHMH cover January 1, 2007 through December 31, 2007 and reveal that HIV/AIDS diagnoses in males aged 13-19 increased 9% from 2006 to 2007 (from 829 to 901); three-quarters of which were among MSM. In addition, diagnoses in females aged 40-years and older increased by 7% and more than 90% of these were African-American and Latina.

The CDC surveillance data also indicate rising HIV/AIDS diagnoses in every age group over 13. In particular, the following age groups experienced these specific percentage increases from 2006 to 2007 in new HIV/AIDS diagnoses.


13-29 age group 18%
40-49 age group 13%
50+ age group 25%

The surveillance report also confirms disparities experienced by MSM and women. From 2006 to 2007, new HIV/AIDS diagnoses among MSM increased by 19% (from 18,894 to 22,472); whereas new HIV/AIDS diagnoses among women increased by 11.5% (from 9,842 to 10,977) in the same time period. The surveillance report presents information on racial disparities experienced by women. In 2006, the estimated number of female HIV infections in 50 states was 15,000, and African-American and Latina women comprised 75% of those cases.

Additionally, seventy-three percent of persons newly diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in 2007 in New York City were male and 50% were black.

"The new CDC and NYC DOHMH data underscore the need for dramatically enhanced HIV prevention efforts at all levels of government," said Marjorie J. Hill, PhD, Chief Executive Officer at Gay Men's Health Crisis. "GMHC calls on Congress, the new Administration and our local health department to aggressively target the HIV disparities that continue to disproportionately impact gay men and women of color."

The report presents estimated cases of HIV/AIDS diagnoses from 34 states and five U.S. dependent areas with names-based reporting since at least 2003. The new data are based on changes in state reporting regulations and reflect results of increased HIV testing efforts.

Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC) is a not-for-profit, volunteer-supported and community-based organization committed to national leadership in the fight against AIDS.