22 Diet Soda Healthy Alternatives that Won't Damage Your Brain or Add to Your Waistline
Recent news suggests that people who drink diet sodas daily have three times the risk of stroke and dementia compared to people who rarely drink them and other research indicated that diet soda actually leads to weight gain and the potential for heart disease and diabetes. Scary statistics to say the least, so you may want to consider these healthy alternatives to diet soda.
Before we move on with these healthy alternatives to diet soda consider looking at these three stories about diet soda. Diet sodas do cause obesity, study finds. Diet coke is a joke because Diet Coke, regardless of how many calories it has, wreaks havoc on your fat loss efforts and will ultimately cause you to gain weight. Also here is why your diet soda may actually prevent you from losing weight, reports Tim Boyer of EmaxHealth.
1. Zevia sodas and Energy Drinks – Let’s face it, there are some diehard soda drinkers who are never going to give up their cola flavored drinks, but now they don’t have to because Zevia makes a product line that tastes great and doesn’t contain artificial sweeteners, and there’s something for everyone. Zevia is committed to making healthy alternatives so their products are vegan, non-GMO, kosher, and don’t contain sodium, artificial color or sweeteners. Instead they contain stevia, which is a plant based sweetener. Get the reason behind the name? The company just released a line of energy drinks made with 120 milligrams of caffeine from coffee extract, about the amount in one cup of coffee. Zevia Energy is available in three flavors: mango ginger, raspberry lime, and grapefruit. If you’re having a hard time finding Zevia, just look on their website for vendors in your area.
2. Kombucha - Kombucha originated in China and has been around for thousands of years. In fact, it might be considered the first natural “soda”. I used to keep a kombucha culture and make my own tea. There are many claims of health benefits and as with any fermented product, this tea may be helpful for digestion and immunity.
3. Kefir - I happen to love kefir and can make this delicious yogurt like drink an entire meal, so it’s a great way to watch your weight and stay healthy while getting added calcium in your diet. Kefir is cultured from milk and usually has fruit added which makes it naturally sweet. Kefir can be made at home using kefir culture starter you can purchase at the health food store or you can buy prepared kefir at any grocery store including Walmart. Kefir is a much more potent source of probiotics than yogurt.
4. Kefir water – These products like kefir contain probiotics but are more like soda than traditional kefir and are not milk-based. KeVita makes a line of probiotic waters that are low in calories and sugar and are fat free yet contain 4 strains of probiotics and over 4 billion colony forming units (CFUs). KeVita drinks come in exciting flavors like root beer, pineapple coconut, mojita lime mint coconut, hibiscus berry, and lemon cayenne.
5. Fruit infused water – Infusing water at home is easy. Just cut up pieces of watermelon, cucumber, cherries, strawberries, or any fruit or veggie of your choice and drop in your water. Not only does the fruit add zing along with vitamins and minerals to your water, you can have a healthy snack after drinking. To add even more minerals and make the perfect electrolyte sports drink, add a pinch of Himalayan salt which contains over 80 minerals.
6. CBD infused water – With more and more information in the news about the health benefits of cannabidiol (CBD) companies are rushing to fill the niche for this up and coming healthy alternative drink. However there is even more confusion about the difference between CBD from hemp versus marijuana. Most people don’t realize the non-THC and therefore non-psychoactive form which comes from hemp actually has a higher content of CBD and is legal in all 50 states. These products are being supported by the fitness crows for “taking the pain out of exercise”. One such company, Puration, officially launched its EVERx CBD Infused Water at Arnold Sports Festival – so named for Arnold Schwarzenegger.
7. Coconut water – Coconut water is the sweet nutty liquid from young green coconuts that is easily digested and high in electrolytes. Drinking coconut water may help prevent kidney stones and may help lower blood sugar and improve heart health.
8. Homemade Ginger Ale – Ginger is a great way to relieve indigestion and has anti-inflammatory products but some store bought ales may be high in sugar. Ginger ale is easy and fun to make at home. Here’s a recipe for a low carb version (Recipe).
9. Matcha tea – Matcha is being made into everything from ice cream to tea. Matcha has many benefits and is a powerful anti-oxidant. If you want genuine matcha I suggest this Japanese green tea company Hibiki-An.
10. Mash – Mash is made from mashed fruit mixed with carbonated water, so it’s like a carbonated fruit soda but low in sugar. It’s available in four flavors: Pomegranate Blueberry, Grapefruit Citrus Zing, Lemon Peel Ginger Root and Blood Orange Ripe Mango.
11. Vitamin Squeeze -Vitamin Squeeze is a 0 calorie, 0 carb and 0 sugar line of flavored water enhancers. Made with antioxidants, essential vitamins, electrolytes and minerals, just squeeze any of the flavors into water for an added wellness and flavor boost.
12. Botanical waters – Altar bills itself as the first premium herbal and botanical herbal martini sans the alcohol. Made from fruits, heirloom vegetables, single estate teas, flowers and spices, most ingredients are organic and each ingredient has been carefully sourced to elicit a specific reaction — i.e. organic cherries to awaken the senses and organic vert du Vietnam green tea for energy. The product line was conceived by Jagatjoti Khalsa, who helped pioneer Yogi Tea into the first fully-organic medicinal tea line.
13. Seaweed – Seaweed is an amazing and highly nutritious food which contains over 70 nutrients including iodine and fucoidan. Numerous studies have been done on the benefits, including the potential to improve fatty liver and brain health. Liquid seaweed products have the added benefit of absorbing quickly which begins as soon as your begin to drink. People living on islands or coastlines and eat seaweed are known to have some of the longest and healthiest lives in the world. My personal favorite is called Blufrog2.
14. Teaonic – Love makes the world go round, and Teaonic products will help you love your body. Each varieTEA contains different herbs that help support the adrenals, liver, skin, gut, hair and nails, weight management, femininity, and brain health.
15. Live Soda – These Live "Soda" products are made from Kombucha. They have a wide variety of flavors from blueberry and cola to lemon, rhuberry, and even root beer and ginger ale.
16. Live Drinking Vinegars – Another Live product line, these organic drinks are made from apple cider and coconut vinegars and come in flavors like tart cherry, Concord grape, pomegranate & elderberry, and blueberry ginger. Under the cap you’ll find motivational messages.
17. Bai anti-oxidant infusions – Bai makes 11 different anti-oxidant infusion drinks with unique flavors Costa Rica Clemintine and Congo Apple Pear.
18. Bai bubbles – For a delicious fizzy drink try one of the Bai Bubbles anti-oxidant drinks with exotic flavors and only 5 calories.
19. Isopure – Isopure is a line of pre- and post-workout drinks loaded with protein, vitamins, antioxidants, branched chain amino acids and energy fueling complex carbs.
20. Honest Soda – Not your typical soda since it’s made with organic erythritol and organic stevia leaf extract which makes it zero calorie and low carb friendly, yet won’t break the bank. Honest soda is available at Walmart.
21. Activate - Some vitamins lose their potency sitting in water so Activate stores them in a unique cap. Just twist the cap and the active ingredients pour into the water for a 0 calorie, 0 sugars, preservative-free drink that is naturally sweetened with stevia. As an added bonus, the bottles are made from post-consumer recycled plastic.
22. Tumeric tea – Tumeric takes some getting used to but has multiple health benefits. Turmeric is a bright yellow-orange spice commonly used in curries and sauces. It comes from the turmeric root. The spice has been used for its medicinal, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties for thousands of years. You can make it at home using this recipe.