New Pet Food Recall Started Affecting Dog Biscuits
PetSmart is issuing a new pet food recall that affects certain types of dog food and biscuits as the latest peanut butter product recalls expand.
PetSmart is voluntarily recalling seven of its Grreat Choice® Dog Biscuit products that contain peanut paste made by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA). PCA is the focus of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration investigation into potential salmonella contamination of peanut butter and paste made at its Blakely, Georgia facility.
Although PetSmart is not aware of any reported cases of pet and dog illness related to these dog food products, it has removed these products from its store shelves and website and is conducting the recall as a precautionary measure. In the release about the pet food recall PetSmart writes that it has "began working closely with all of our vendors to verify whether there are any implications for our customers and their pets through the products sold in our stores."
The recalled pet and dog food products include only the following types of Grreat Choice Dog Biscuits sold between Aug. 21, 2008 and Jan. 19, 2009:
* Small Assorted 32 oz., UPC 73725702900
* Small/Medium Assorted 4 lb., UPC 73725700601
* Small/Medium Assorted 8 lb., UPC 73725700605
* Small/Medium Assorted 10 lb., UPC 73725702755
* Large Assorted 8 lb., UPC 73725700638
* Extra Large Assorted 8 lb., UPC 73725700779
* Peanut Butter 4 lb., UPC 73725700766
Customers who purchased the recalled dog biscuit products should discontinue use immediately and can return the product to any PetSmart store for a complete refund or exchange. Customers can visit www.petsmartfacts.com for more information or contact PetSmart Customer Service at 1-888-839-9638.
Here is what PetSmart does about the dog food recall and what you need to do if you had an association with the above-mentioned pet foods. Any news that involves a pet food recall naturally causes uncertainty and worry for our customers. We are deeply concerned, and our first thoughts are for the well-being of you and your pets.
* Please be assured that, as always, we're handling this recall with the utmost urgency to ensure our shelves and website are free of recalled product.
* We're immediately removing all recalled product, and have precautions in place to make sure they are not re-stocked.
* To the best of our knowledge, and based on information from our suppliers and government regulators, customers can continue to use pet food and treats that haven’t been subjected to recall.
What Should You Do About This Pet Food Recall?
* If you purchased any recalled treat products, you should discontinue use immediately and return the pet food to any PetSmart for a complete refund or exchange.
* If you have any concerns that your or your pet's health has been affected by any of these recalled treat products, we recommend you contact your medical professional.
* Keep informed. At PetSmart, we’re committed to keeping you informed of any developments regarding the recall. We’ll continue to post any updated information on this website, as well as in our stores.
You can also follow our updates via Twitter at @PetSmartTLC. If you have any additional questions about this recall, please call our Customer Service line at 1-888-839-9638.
By Wild Hair Labbrador Rescue, used under Creative Commons.