Don't Consume Unregistered Products For Managing Sexual Dysfunction
The Department of Health (DH) urged members of the public not to buy or use a product named "Power Up", which was promoted for the management of sexual dysfunction, because it was found to contain an undeclared western drug ingredient that may cause serious side effects.
Based on intelligence, DH mounted an operation yesterday and today. Samples of the product were obtained yesterday from a shop named "Wanta.net" located at 2/F, 28 Russell Street, Causeway Bay.
Laboratory tests on the samples showed the presence of undeclared western drug ingredient of sildenafil which is usually used for treating male sexual dysfunction.
During the operation today, DH seized samples of the same product from "Good Harvests (Asia) Trading Co. Ltd". at Room 2-3, 13/F, Block B, Texaco Road Industrial Centre, 14-22 Wang Lung Street, Tsuen Wan and "Chung Tai Dispensary" at 107 Heep Wo Street, Kwun Tong. Laboratory test results are pending.
"Power Up" is not a registered pharmaceutical product in Hong Kong and no report of adverse effect relating to the consumption of the product has been received so far. DH will closely monitor the situation.
The spokesman said the side effects of sildenafil include low blood pressure, headache, vomiting, dizziness, and transient vision disturbances. They may interact with nitrates found in some prescription drugs (such as nitroglycerin) and may lower blood pressure of patients to dangerous levels.
Under the Pharmacy and Poisons Ordinance, products containing sildenafil must be registered before sale and can only be sold on a doctor's prescription and under supervision of a pharmacist.
The DH urged the public not to consume virility products of unknown or unclear sources, because the efficacy, safety and quality of such could not be assured, the spokesman said.
"Members of the public and the trade who have in their possession similar products are urged to stop consuming or trading them immediately," he said.
Members of the public who have these products in possession are advised not to take them. They are urged to seek advice from their health professionals if they feel unwell after consumption.