Boost Family Health with Kid-Friendly Healthy Recipes for Quinoa and Fish
It's not easy to persuade children to eat healthy foods. They tend to push away vegetables, wrinkle their noses at whole grains and groan at the sight and smell of fish. But we've got two solutions for helping your entire family to eat right with recipes for delicious quinoa and unfried fish dishes.
Daphne Oz's Unfried Fish Sticks
On the popular cooking show "The Chew," Daphne Oz recently discussed a way to trick your children into eating fish. Instead of fried fish sticks, which tend to be the only way to get kids to eat fish, Daphne has created a recipe for unfried fish sticks that taste just like the not-good-for-you version!
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cups Panko (toasted)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 1.5 pounds Boneless Cod of Halibut Fillets (cut into 3/4-inch pieces)
- Rub the olive oil on a sheet tray and preheat it in 450°F oven.
- Season cod with salt. Mix together the panko and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish. Put eggs in a separate shallow dish.
- First, dip the fish in the panko crumbs. Then, dip them in the beaten eggs and finally back in the panko to coat them.
- Once all of the fish is coated, arrange the fillets on the preheated oiled baking sheet. Bake for five minutes then turn fish and bake for about five minutes more, until they are just cooked through.
Quinoa contains all the essential amino acids, making it a complete protein, according to Rodale News. But getting kids to try something new can be tricky. That's where this tasty salad comes in.
Kewl Quinoa Ingredients
- 1½ cups dry prewashed organic quinoa
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cups water
- 15 to 25 spears fresh asparagus (depending on thickness), tough ends removed, sliced into ½- to 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup fresh kumquats, sliced into thin rings and all seeds removed
- ¼ cup toasted unsalted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons golden raisins