How to make non-toxic lipstick from crayons
This is easy and a safer lipstick than the kind sold commercially that might contain lead and other toxins. To make your own lipstick from crayons and coconut oil with endless color possibilities, follow these steps. You can also save money by using the coconut oil to replace other personal care products.
What you will need:
- A saucepan with water
- An empty jar
- Coconut oil
- Crayons of various colors
- Something to stir with
- A container for your new lipstick
How to do it
- Fill a pan with two cups of water and place on low heat
- Put an empty glass jar in the water then add about ½ tsp of coconut oil to the jar to melt it. Keep it on low heat only. You can also use a double boiler.
- Put approximately one inch of crayon in the coconut oil that is in the jar melting and stir. It should take about 30 seconds for the crayon to melt.
- Test the color on a paper towel or back of your hand (when cool) and add more color until you get the desired result.
After it cools and solidifies, put it on and enjoy!
Why make your own lipstick?
Some metals in lipstick are toxic to the nervous system and can be especially dangerous for children and unborn babies.
The only two ingredients in crayons are paraffin (wax) and pigment. Even the glue is non-toxic for good reasons - kids, for some reason, love to eat crayons. There may be some lead in crayons.
If you want a really pure lipstick you can purchase natural beeswax crayons that will provide extra moisture to the lips.
Use your coconut oil for other beauty regimens
Rubbing coconut oil on your palms and in your hair is a great way to make your hair softer. You can also slather your hair in it for deep moisturizing. Use it before you shampoo and condition. The oil is a great moisturizer and shave cream too. You can also use coconut oil as a nighttime facial moisturizer and as a cuticle treatment.
An added perk of making your lipstick with crayons and coconut oil is cost savings that can really add up. You can even use your red or pink lipsticks as a blush. Making blue, brown and other colorful mixes can be used as an eyeshadow too. The coconut oil can replace shave cream, moisturizer and hair conditioner that are taking up space and draining your pocket book.
Image credit: Pixabay